"day procedure unit"

About: Calderdale Royal Hospital

I am 16 and this was my first operation,so understandably I was extremely nervous but in the day procedure unit I was made to feel very welcome and very comfortable, and the surroundings kept me occupied (TV,books, and magazines) and the way the waiting room was set out allowed you to easily interact with other patients and talk whilst you were waiting which was good. The only thing I didn't like about my visit was the fact that none of the staff had any idea at all of how long the wait would be. I arrived at 12 and asked after about an hour of waiting if there were any guidelines they could give me but they just said that i could be waiting up to 7 o' clock. To make the patients feel more comfortable I think that it is important to keep them updated and give them as much information as possible whilst they wait. Other than this all the staff were lovely and smiley and made me feel comfortable, and the atmosphere when I woke up was very peaceful and relaxed :)))

Response from Calderdale Royal Hospital

We are sorry to hear that you had to undergo an operation, but delighted to hear that generally things went well and we were able to help in calming your nerves. We are sorry that you were not provided with a better indication of the length of wait, it is, of course, hard to be precise, but it does seem the information provided was a bit vague. We will ensure the department concerned are aware of you comments. Many thanks for your feedback, it is valuable to us.