"Woefully Inadequate Care"

About: New Cross Hospital

My mother has just had the recent misfortune of being admitted to New Cross Hospital. My first impression when I went to visit her on the ward (C18) were that it was well staffed. How wrong I was! There are plenty of staff, but most of them spend their time gossiping to each other rather than attending to their patients needs. Woe betide the person who asks for some assistance, for the story they are telling their colleagues about their night out is far more important than going to find a sick bowl for a patient! There are notices throughout the ward clearly stating only 2 visitors to a bed. However, this rule is only applicable to certain ethnic groups. Others are allowed 4 or 5 visitors at a time without any problem. Again, don't bother asking the staff to enforce this rule. We are all told by our doctors that hydration is important, but apparently this does not apply to ward C18, as patients are quite often left for hours on end with no water. I could go on and list several more grievances, but what would be the point? Even if someone from the hospital reads this, nothing will happen.

Response from The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust

I was sorry to read your comments relating to your mother's care on Ward C18. To enable me to look further into your concerns, I would be grateful if you can contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01902 695362, to discuss this further.

Kindest regards

Judith Davis

Acting Patient Experience Lead

Response from New Cross Hospital

I was sorry to read your comments relating to the experience that you and your mother have experienced on Ward C18. To enable me to look into your concerns, I would be grateful if you can contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01902 695362 to discuss this further. Kindest regards Judith Davis Acting Patient Experience Lead