"Admin mistakes"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

My niece was diagnosed with cancer, naturally she required chemotherapy for her condition on Friday we were told it would be given on the Thursday but we Quite rightly thought this was too long a wait,we made our concerns known and was given assurances that it would now be administer on the Tuesday,news we were delighted with. Tuesday came the chemo was delivered but to our horror it was the wrong chemo, luckily the nurse had noticed this,had she not been doing her job who knows what might have happened and now we have to wait until Thursday to get new chemo, a victory for administration? My niece who is very brave visibly deteriorated. Questions 1. Why was'nt the order checked and double checked with such a important order question 2. Why does it take so long to deliver which leads me to question 3. Why is'nt it stored at the hospital, for a supposed leading cancer hospital this must be addressed come on q.e q.m get your act together for the sake of the cancer patients.

Thank you for providing us with feedback and I am sorry to hear about the delays experienced in your nieces's treatment. I am glad that the error was noticed and the right treatment will be provided on Thursday.

The chemotherapy treatment is often quite complex and has to be tailored for individual people. The Trust does manufacture some treatments on site and others have to be specially made and delivered by an outside service. This normally takes 48 hours to turn-around.

I do hope all runs smoothly from now on.