"Removal of Gallbladder "

About: Medway Maritime Hospital / General surgery

The wait on the day if surgury for Removal of Gallbladder was extremely long. I was told to arrive at 7am but didn't go to theatre until 4pm. There was a massive Lack of communication. I was repeatedly told my surgery had complications but no one could tell me what they were which was anxiety provoking.

The staff on the Sunderland ward were polite and kind but there were not enough of them. I ended up vomiting twice and passing out the day after my surgery because they were 'too busy' to give me a bladder scan, despite suspecting I couldn't pass urine.

The pain was excruciating and the staff had absolutely no idea how to respond to me, they simply observed my distress. Finally on Tuesday I was sent home but I received absolutely no post op advise. In fact I was told I had dissolvable stitches and then discovered when I removed the dressings I had staples! I have no idea why I have staples when there are other less aggressive options available. I'm extremely distressed by it!

Response from Medway NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your feedback.

I was sorry to read of your poor experience following surgery for the removal of your gall bladder.

Please accept my apologies that you were left distressed by this experience.

In order for me to explain the process and answer any questions that you may still have and for us to learn from this I would appreciate it if you would call me on 01634 830000 ex 5993 Sara Songhurst Head of Nursing to discuss further.

Response from Medway Maritime Hospital

We would like to apologise for the distress caused by passing out whilst waiting for a bladder scan and for the incorrect discharge advice. We would like to investigate this, so can you please contact me to provide further details? Kind regards Wendy Jones Senior Sister Sunderland Day Care Centre Level 1 Green Zone Sisters Office 6051 Extn 5601/5023