"Smoking outside hospital buildings."

About: Northern General Hospital

There are signs saying smoking is not allowed yet there were crowds of people outside the main entrance and A&E last night. This is unacceptable and unfair to those with breathing difficulties who have to avoid cigarette smoke. During a two hour wait inside a very stuffy airless A&E waiting room last night I was frequently subjected to cigarette smoke wafting into the building. As I had a bad leg I was unable to walk outside to get the fresh air I badly needed.

Response from Senior Patient Partnership Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Anonymous Poster

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent experience in our A&E department at Northern General Hospital. I am sorry that on this occasion your care was not of the high standard we would expect at our Trust. We would like to be able to respond in more detail to you about this.

If you would like us to investigate your concerns further please do contact our Patient Services Team on either 0114 271 2400 or pst@sth.nhs.uk and they will take additional details from you.