"Not a Minor Injuries Unit"

About: Southmead Hospital

This unit does not exist. It is, in fact, part of the A&E unit. Expect waits of up to 3 hours before being seen by a triage nurse. We thought 'ABC' as we're told to, and discovered it was pointless as we ended up in an A&E anyway - we drove 40 minutes to get there instead of the local A&E (as all I needed was a quick X-Ray to check if my hand was broken or merely bruised) but I will be going directly to A&E with all future problems. The system doesn't work, the hospital is horribly laid out (I was VERY grateful that I didn't have a leg injury) and because we were looking for the non-existent 'MIU' not 'A&E', we had a 30 minute walk around a hospital crammed with reversing buses and blocked off routes due to the current renovations. Would actively recommend people avoid it.

Response from Southmead Hospital

Dear Kim – thank you for posting your comments. I am sorry you’re your experience was so poor. The Clevedon Cottage Hospital is not part of the North Bristol Trust Southmead services, but instead the MIU is a nurse led unit operated by North Somerset Community Partnership, a Community Interest Company that provides healthcare services on behalf of the NHS to the people of North Somerset. As a result I cannot comment on your poor care or feedback your comments for action, and you will need to contact North Somerset Community Partnership direct. I hope that your hand is now much improved. Kind regards – Steve Sykes Advice and Complaints Team.