"Disappointed by NHS24 but grateful for care at Royal Alexandra in Paisley"

About: NHS 24 Royal Alexandra Hospital / Accident & Emergency

(as a parent/guardian),

I contacted NHS24 in the morning as my 19 year old son was experiencing severe chest pains. After describing his symptoms and being asked a number of questions to which he was only allowed to answer yes or no and wasn't allowed to give an explanation, he was told that he would be passed to a medical advisor. He was then told that unfortunately no-one was available to speak to him but that someone would phone back within the next 2 hours.

Having received an unsatisfactory reply I had to take my son by car to the nearest A&E which is 12 miles away. On arrival at A&E and hearing that my son had chest pains, he was seen immediately and after numerous tests was disagnosed with a severe chest infection. I am extremely grateful to the staff at Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley for their wonderful treatment of my son, I am however extremely disappointed by the service received by NHS24.

Response from Shona Lawrence, Patient Affairs Manager, NHS 24

Dear Watsit 227

Thank you for sharing your posting via Patient Opinion. I was sorry to learn that your son experienced chest pains and was subsequently diagnosed with a severe chest infection. I do wish him a speedy recovery and I appreciate that this will have been a worrying time both you and your son.

I note from your feedback that you have expressed disappointment in the manner in which the contact with NHS 24 was managed. I was sorry to learn of this and would very much welcome the opportunity of exploring this further with you should you so wish. Here at NHS 24, patient safety is our first priorty and we welcome feedback on our service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on 0141 337 4582 when I would be happy to disucss your concerns and progress this for you. I can also be contacted via email at patientaffairs@nhs24.scot.nhs.uk

With kind regards

Shona Lawrence

NHS 24 Patient Affairs Manager

Response from Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS

Dear watsit277

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to provide your feedback. Your concerns and comments have been shared with the relevant service managers.

Once again thank you for using the Patient Opinion website, it is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards