"Traumatic urodynamics test"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Urology

I went to see urologist to get bladder checked to see for leakage via a catheter. The experience was meant to be painless and I was to be numbed by gel. The gel stinged and burned so no effect took place, I told nurse it was stinging and burned. They continued anyway and was the most agonizing pain I have ever felt, I yelled and cried so loudly they ignored me and continued, they also had to repeat catheter as it was inserted wrong. I felt forced to redo it, it should have been stopped and got properly numbed and gone to theatre like I understand the men do. There was no compassion showed or support given when I cried in pain. I was so traumatised by the pain I couldn't say stop. am still traumatised now and put off going back. If anyone else goes through this and have pain tell them to stop and don't feel forced to continue.

Dear Maz88,

I am so sorry about the traumatic experience you have clearly had. It is disturbing to hear that you felt as if you were being forced through it despite being in great pain. I don’t understand why it was so painful and why you were not supported in a manner that you required.

Procedures can sometimes be unavoidably less pleasant than we anticipate, but how we handle it and explain it can often go a long way to helping people to cope.

I will pass this on to the manager for Urology but to understand more about it we would need to know some more details such as your name, date of birth and when this appointment was (date and time). If you want to drop me a personal email or call me we will look into it for you (eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk. 01563 826222).

I am sorry I have taken so long to reply and I hope you are feeling much better now. Please do not let this experience put you off returning for any follow-up or treatment as I am aware that this is not everyone’s experience.

Kind regards,

Dear Maz88,

Our managers are very keen to be able to look into your experience and several have contacted me asking for the additional details as outlined in my previous post. Staff get concerned about reports of poor patient experience and I am sure they would like clarity for the team too.

While you do not have to contact us with the details, it would certainly be very helpful. If you feel you can let me know more details, it will be kept in the strictest of confidence. We do appreciate that not everyone wants to go down that path, so if that is your wish, that is fine too.

Kindest regards

Dear Maz88,

Thank you for providing the information we need to look into this. We will be in touch as soon as possible and I hope you are feeling better now.

Kind regards,

Dear Maz88,

Thank you for contacting me on my personal email address. I am glad we have managed to arrange a suitable time for you to meet with the appropriate people to explore this fully. I hope this will help to allay any concerns you have, particularly over any further tests.

It may not be reassuring for yourself, but while this is a difficult investigation both to do and to have, most people report high satisfaction and this is what our aim is for everyone.

Take care,