"It's just a shame that the A&E seemed so understaffed"

About: South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / NHS 111 Torbay Hospital / Accident and emergency

My girlfriend phoned 111 on my behalf as I had a head injury and possible fractured eye socket and concussion. The person told us to go straight down to A&E within the hour which we did. We had to wait for 6 hours before I was seen and by the point my head was so bad I needed 3 different types of painkillers.

The doctor, however, was brilliant when I finally saw him. He was a young guy with longer blonde/brown hair. He explained everything really clearly without using ok kuch technical jargon. Even though he was really busy he took the time to make sure I understood everything and I was thoroughly pleased with the treatment. It's just a shame that the A&E seemed chronically understaffed! I realise that this is not your fault and that it must all come down to funding but I wanted to voice my feedback.

Dear Annoying wait

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I hope you are feeling better.

I hope that the 111 service met your expectations on this occasion.

Laura

• Annoying wait doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful

Response from PALS Dept, Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Patient,

Thank you for your kind comments. We are really pleased that the care and treatment you received from the Emergency Dr reached the high standards we constantly strive to achieve.

However we are very sorry to hear about your experience of waiting for treatment in the Emergency Department. We would like the opportunity to discuss your experience with you and try our best to resolve it.

If you are happy to talk to us about this, please contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) so they can look into your situation in more detail.

A PALS Officer is available in person, Monday to Friday, between 10.00am and 2.00pm. You can contact them by calling 01803 655838 or on our 24 hour freephone number 0800 02 82 037. If you get through to the voicemail service please leave your contact details and you will receive a call back within two working days. PALS can also be contacted by Text Phone on 01803 654742, by FAX on 01803 617162, or via email to sdhc@nhs.net (your email will go direct to our PALS Service).

We look forward to hearing from you so that we can address the issues you have raised.

• Annoying wait thinks this response is helpful

Response from Torbay Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It is always good to receive feedback bith negative and positove; we try to ensure we share examples of good practice and also that we learn from any negative experiences. kind regards South Devon Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust.