"Mixed experience of fracture treatment "

About: Kent & Canterbury Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics William Harvey Hospital / Accident and emergency

(as a parent/guardian),

My son fractured his collar bone while on holiday in France, on our last day. French doctor really good and gave support, analgesia and told us what to do on return to Kent.

Arrived in emergency department (ED) at WHH along with all X-rays taken in France. Seen by a Registered Nurse who did not give a name, who did not examine my son, and did not look at the X-rays! Told us we should not have gone to ED but needed a fracture clinic appointment. Went back to reception and tried to get the appointment. First date given was several weeks later. Overheard by a healthcare assistant who had also spotted that my son was not wearing the arm support correctly and that it was not a system used in UK. This healthcare assistant gave their name and sorted out new sling and an appointment in 2 days time - at K&C.

Son saw a Registrar and then when he asked to see the Consultant, who saw him. Son wanted further advice. Trauma service fab after that. Got call at home to say son was list the next day and we duly arrived at QEQMH for operation. All staff at QEQMH were fab especially the healthcare assistant in pre-op who explained all to my son. The orthopaedic team were great, the ward staff on Cheerful Sparrows -think that was name- were great. The anaesthetic and man who took him to theatres were good. Thanks to all for letting us come home late at night.

Fracture clinic follow ups at K&C rather smooth too. Only thing is that on last one the doctor - well we think it was a doctor! - did not introduce himself, and name badge was turned round the wrong way.

Thank you very much for providing feedback about your son's care. It looked as if you had a very mixed experience, please accept my apologies for your experience at WHH in the A&E department. I will ensure that staff are aware of the impact this had on you and your son.

If you would like to talk to me further about the details so I can follow this through with staff, then please do email me on Julie.pearce1@nhs.net. We take feedback seriously, and try to learn from our mistakes.

• cip thinks this response is helpful

Response from Sarah Ashurst, subscriber services manager, Patient Opinion

Dear Cip,

Thank you for coming back to Julie with more information about your son's care. As this could have identified your son and the staff involved we could not publish it on the website but I have sent your reply directly to Julie at East Kent Hospitals.

Thank you for taking the time to use Patient Opinion and I hope your son is recovering well, I can only imagine how painful a fractured collar bone is!

Wish best wishes,

Update posted by cip (a parent/guardian)

And I thought I was "vague" as well. If only the staff had used "Hellomynameis..." then would def had known who they were.