"Glad I went to A & E"

About: Sussex Eye Hospital

I went to the A & E department, after being told that my eye pressure were high and I have a family history of glaucoma and blindness. My GP told me that I could possibly have a very long wait for an appointment at Worthing hospital - up to six months! As I was worried about the possibly lengthy wait, I telephoned Moorfields Eye hospital helpline, to ask for their advice. They advised me not to wait and suggested Brighton eye hospital A & E. I did have some trouble with the receptionist, who was reluctant to let me see anyone, and even though I said I was there on the advice of Moorfields, she was not happy to let me in to see anyone. After some discussion she told me to wait. Just one hour later I was seen, and so glad I was seen, as I have narrow angle glaucoma. I was given eye drops and booked to have a laser iridotomy in two weeks time. I am grateful to Brighton A & E for seeing me. My concern is that the reception, did her best not to let me see anyone, and as she is not an expert I don't think its her role to do this.

Response from Sussex Eye Hospital

Thank you for your comments.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please contact our PALS Team on 01273 664973 or by email at pals@bsuh.nhs.uk.

Patient Experience Team