"Pahramcy staff need training"

About: Moorfields Eye Hospital (City Road)

This hospital is badly let down by its pharmacy. Given this hospital is a tertiary specialist centre, and mis-treatment can lead to blindness, a pharmacy that does not dispense what is prescribed by the doctor is a serious issue. In my case the doctor prescided drops to be inserted in both my affected eyes and clearly wrote this on the presciption, but the Pharmacy labelled the drops for one eye only and did not give me sufficient quantity for both eyes. Another patient may have gone by what the pharmacy has typed on the bottle, treated only one eye and gone blind in the other! Also they failed to prescibe the amount the doctor prescibed. When I approached the pharmacy they did not seem to care, and despite asking I was refused my request to speak to the pharmacist (rather than a dispenser). When I was at the pharmacy an elderly lady was also prescibed the wrong quanity of medication and was in argument with the pharmacy. Please teach your psharmacy staff to read and dispense exactly what the doctor has prescibed. It totally defeats the object if a patient comes to your specialist Hospital, and it prescibed one thing but your pharmacy dispenses the wrong dose/ product. Have contacted PALS will wait to see what they can do.

Response from Moorfields Eye Hospital (City Road)

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about this. Contacting PALS, as you have done, is the most sensible thing to do as they will be able to investigate properly and ensure any necessary remedial action is taken. In the meantime, I will pass your concerns on to the pharmacy department.