"communication problems/ no one answers phones!"

About: Westmorland General Hospital

The problem i am finding is that i received a letter on the 2nd April and have tried ever since to contact the department number supplied on the letter and cannot get any answer, it constantly rings out. I have left several messages to say that the appointment date and time is not good for me and left my work, home and mobile number to no avail. I cannot have my proceedure done at our local hospital FGH and therefore I need a lift to westmorland general as i live in Barrow. when i was told i needed to have photo's taken of my eyes i gave them my husbands availablity from work and they have not taken this into consideration. we need a system that someone will pick up these calls and sort problems out without causing more stress to the patient i.e. myself. Because i cannot attend on this date i am worried that because i cannot contact some-one i wont receive a new one in the post. Please help sort out communication to this department 01539 715250/715251 I work for the NHS and find that if i cannot get help with appointments/phones being answered, what chance to the elderly have that do not have telephones or are unable to communicate for themselves. I have found this very stressful.

Response from Westmorland General Hospital

We apologise for the difficulties you have had in reaching the department by telephone and thank-you for raising this with us. We have put a system into place to ensure that the messages left on these numbers are checked and responded to and understand we have now made contact with you to re-arrange your appointment. Many thanks again.