"Breastfeeding peer support"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Maternity care

When my baby was born, I knew immediately that I wanted to give him the best start in life... breastfeed him. He has a very rare congenital disease and needs more support than other babies to thrive and live up to his potential.

I felt rather lonely in my little Scottish village, as no other new mum decided to breastfeed and there were no local groups.

After checking facebook, I found out that in the next bigger town was a charity called Ayrshire Breastfeeding Centres and I went for every meeting and met my local peer supporter. Just KNOWING that she was there and available, answering questions and meeting up with me gave me reassurance. Now, at three months, I am still happily breastfeeding my baby and he is thriving and doing just as well as other babies.

Hello Baerchen,

Congratulations on the birth of your baby and many congratulations for wanting to and successfully breast feeding your baby. I am sorry you felt isolated in your village but it sounds as if you have made a great link and got such good help and support. As I am (a little) past the childbirth age (Ha ha!!) this is an area I know little about now, but it is wonderful that you made the link and I know I would have been grateful for the help too. I will pass this to our Maternity Service and perhaps we can help to sign post people to the service in some way during the Antenatal stage of pregnancy.

Thank you for letting us know about this and well done for your perseverance, you have given your baby the best start in life,

Kind regards,

Eunice

Dear Baerchen,

I have spoken to the manger for this service and we believe you tapped into one of the breast feeding network, BFN. The Maternity Service does advertise these in the unit and there is usually a breast feeding network peer supporter in the unit. I am sorry you were unfortunately one of the people that did not get the information. We will endevour to make sure everyone is aware of this excellent service and the help it can give.

Eunice