"Why was I allowed to develop bedsores?"

About: Colchester General Hospital / Accident and emergency

I was admitted quickly through A&E into the Emergency Assessment Unit. I had a bad bladder/urine infection. I am paraplegic. I spent some 36 hours in EAU before being transferred to West Bergholt ward.

This ward was very noisy (both patients and staff), chaotic and quite scary. Patients were calling out, but being ignored by staff. In the two days I was there I saw four patients, all elderly and disorientated, fall on the floor.

Being paraplegic, I am very aware of the dangers of bedsores developing, and I asked staff who were washing me to carefully check my skin (back, buttocks, heels etc. ) for any signs of redness or inflammation. Each time I was assured my skin integrity was fine.

On returning home my usual carer helped me to bed and, on undressing me, was shocked to find large bedsores on the base of my spine and the tops of my buttocks. These sores are now being treated by District Nurses.

My complaint is being investigated.

Response from Paul Searle, Head of Communications, Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust

I apologise you’ve not had a good patient experience.

I'm glad your complaint is being investigated.

Many thanks

Response from Colchester General Hospital

I apologise you’ve not had a good patient experience. We try really hard to improve our services based on the comments we receive from our patients, their relatives or carers. I note that you have raised a complaint, however if there is any assistance I can give, please email me, using the reference “Comment on RDEE4-Colchester General Hospital at 03/09/2014 22:35:27”, please? Many thanks Paul Searle, Head of Communications Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust info@colchesterhospital.nhs.uk