"Terrible experience in A & E"

About: New Cross Hospital

I had to take my 31 yr old daughter to A & E with a suspected miscarriage, abdominal pain & bleeding. We waited over 4 hours to see a registrar. We were put in a cubicle which had not been cleaned from the previous occupant. The registrar picked up with bare hands the blood covered swabs & put them in the bin. He then proceded to try to examine my daughter without even washing his hands. We were utterly appalled. This is totally unacceptable behaviour from a medical professional. There are no excuses. A & E was like a war zone with dozens of groaning patients lined up on trolleys down the corridors as far as you could see. I was desperate for the loo & was begrudgingly & quite rudely shown where to go by a member of staff. The toilet was filthy, there were faeces, used loo roll & urine all over the place. I haven't been in A & E for years & was horrified & traumatised by the whole experience. Surely these are not the accepted standards nowadays in our A & E departments, however busy? We were eventually after 7 hours transferred to the Maternity unit where we were treated very well by all the staff there, thank goodness. They were competent, professional, efficient, treated us with compassion & respect & made us feel human again. While I do understand how busy & pressurised A & E at New Cross is nowadays, there are certain levels of cleanliness & basic infection prevention that should not be allowed to fail or to put vulnerable people at risk.

Response from The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust

Dear Onlyange

Thank you for posting your comments relating to your experience in our Emergency department. To enable me to look further into this for you, I would be most grateful if you can contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01902 695362.

Kindest regards

Judith Davis

Acting Patient Experinece Lead

Response from New Cross Hospital

I was sorry to read your comments relating to your recent experience in our Emergency Department. To enable me to look further into your concerns, I would be grateful if you could contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01902 695362. Kindest regards Judith Davis Acting Patient Experience Lead