"My cancer treatment, care and support"

About: Dewsbury & District Hospital Pinderfields General Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

In May of 2013 I was found to have breast cancer metasteses in my bones, quite widespread, and was told that without treatment (would not be curative) I may only have a months life left. The Oncologist was very honest and clear speaking, and gave the facts without vagueness - which I had asked him to do. I have had a few 'setbacks' and am currently taking a second course of chemotherapy. Throughout all the months of knowing I had a terminal illness I have received nothing but excellent care from the Oncologist, his specialist nurse at Dewsbury, all staff at the Cavell Unit and Rosewood Centre as well as from the Macmillan Nurse and District Nursing Team.

All other specialists who deal with cancer to whom I have been referred have been equally caring and supportive. Sadly the least supportive and understanding were the surgical doctors when Orthopaedic intervention was needed. Here I was treated as a case and if they had had their way I would have been discharged as medically fit only 2 days after my second operation. Thankfully the Physiotherapists had a say in when I was discharged and got me walking safely with two crutches before this occurred. To the Oncology teams, a great big thank you from me. To the Orthopaedic team - learn to look at the wider picture of each patient as an individual with specific needs please.

Response from Paul Jepson, Patient Liaison Manager, Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Hattie

Thank you for this helpful feedback. We appreciate your positive comments, which we will relay the to staff concerned, and we will ensure that colleagues in orthopaedics are appraised of your fedback also.

We would entirely agree that a holistic view of each patient's needs is essential.

Response from Pinderfields General Hospital

Thank you for these helpful comments. We appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback and wish you well at this difficult time.