"proposed night time confinement"

About: Wathwood Hospital

(as a staff member posting for a patient/service user),

This is in regards to the night time confinement that is being proposed at Wathwood Hospital. I feel this is a unfair decision and will be detrimental to my mental health being locked up at 9. 00pm. I will feel like I am back in prison and I don't want to feel like I'm back in prison.

In the day people do groups and classes so we only get chance to socialise at night time so this will be stopped.

It'll affect our relationship with the staff which will be a negative effect.

(Transcribed on behalf of patient)

Thank you for your posting about 'proposed night time confinement'.

Please be reassured that any plans to bring about changes would be discussed with patients first.

You can expect a further reply to your posting when I have heard back from the managers at Wathwood and other forensic services in our Trust

Thank you again for taking the time to feedback and to tell us how you feel this could affect you and your mental health if you couldn't socialise at night.

Jane

Response from Involvement Team , Involvement & Experience, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Thank you for your feedback on ‘night time confinement’. At the recent Trust board meeting held at Wathwood Hospital there was discussion looking at the evaluation of night time confinement at Rampton High Secure hospital.

Overall, the evaluation was very positive and demonstrated that most patients at the hospital had found night time confinement helpful.

At the end of the meeting Dr Mike Harris, the Executive Director for the service asked that a paper regarding the possibility of night time confinement at Arnold Lodge medium secure unit be considered at the next board meeting in March subject to the paper being approved by the executive team of the Trust.

It was agreed that the consultation paper on the potential for night time confinement programme at Arnold Lodge would be presented at the next Trust board meeting in March.

The proposal is one of many possibilities being examined to look at efficiencies within Arnold Lodge and would, if agreed have a projected implementation date of 2016. The paper actually suggests a very wide consultation with all stakeholders but most importantly the patients and staff at Arnold Lodge and the various regulating bodies.

If it does go ahead after the consultation it would initially be a pilot on 2 wards and a detailed evaluation on the benefits and difficulties before going any further.

Currently there are no plans to roll this out any further at Wathwood

I hope this offers some reassurance to the concerns that you have raised around and can we thank you again for raising the issue on the Patient Opinion Web Site

Steve Ball General Manager Wathwood Hospital