"Terrible attitude for a consultant"

About: Forth Valley Royal Hospital / Orthopaedics

I had major surgery to both my feet and was informed this is a straight forward, common operation which will require 12 weeks recovery time.

It was obvious pretty quickly that there was a problem and recovery wasn't going to plan. Although the consultant did not agree and each time I asked a question the consultant was very rude and abrupt and told me I was too impatient and the surgery went well.

The consultant made me feel as though I was an irritation and a hypochondriac. Now 7 months on, I need further surgery.

I thought doctors had a duty of care to patients and should make their patients feel at ease. I am afraid the way I was treated by this individual is not acceptable, and I told them so.

Response from Arlian Mallis, Person Centred Health and Care Co-ordinator, Department of Nursing, NHS Forth Valley

Im sorry to hear that your require another operation, and that your experience of your communication with your surgeon wasnt helpful. Im glad that you have been able to give direct feedback, however we can use you posting in training sessions which will hopefully highlight the importance of good communication and care.

Thanks for sharing