"I'm visually impaired - can't see the labels on my medications"

About: Tameside General Hospital / General medicine

I'm visually impaired, have cerebral palsy and use a wheelchair. I am prescribed many types of drugs but despite requests, the labels are of small print.

I also ask for appointment letters to be sent in large print but this frequently does not happen. I would also like the letter & information to be on yellow paper which is a good colour for most V.I. people.

I have asked PALS to arrange this but they have said they cannot. I feel really upset about this as it stops me being independent as I have to ask other people to read my letters & labels.

Response from Peter Denton, Healthwatch Manager, Healthwatch Tameside

I'm sorry to learn that you are having problems with your medication labels.

Healthwatch is the independent consumer champion for health and care services. Part of our role is to offer an information signposting service for local people.

Although we don't have any specific information about large print medication labels, I suspect that Tameside Sight may have some useful suggestions for you. They are a local organisation which provides help and support to people with visual impairments who live in Tameside. Their web address is: http://www.tamesidesight.org.uk/

If you have any other health or care related issues you would like information about, feel free to e-mail us at info@healthwatchtameside.co.uk or phone 0161 339 4985