"Joined up care in diabetic medicine"

About: King's College Hospital (Denmark Hill) / Diabetic medicine

When I became very ill eighteen months ago I was initially admitted to a local hospital where I received some pretty poor care, particularly through the Urgent Care/A & E before admission.

The end result was that a week later I was discharged but still very unwell with incorrect diagnosis.

A completely different experience when a few weeks later I was admitted to King’s College Hospital, London. I had previously been very well looked after in the hospital’s diabetic foot clinic as an out-patient so I knew that King’s would do their very best for me.

From the moment I arrived there I felt reassured that at last I was in safe hands and I had complete confidence that the medics there would do their very best to get me on to the road of recovery.

Everything was dealt with in a very efficient joined up way and from the moment I arrived on the ward numerous tests and scans etc. were organised in an attempt to make a diagnosis.

I was very impressed with the friendliness of all members of staff, some of whom were exceptionally kind, understanding and did their job in such a professional way that I could not thank them enough. The doctors looking after me kept me very well informed of what was going on; referring me to other specialities when they thought necessary. The King’s diabetes team also gave me a lot of help and support.

No-one likes to be in hospital but King’s made it as good as it can get!

Response from Helen Rogers, Consultant Nurse for Diabetes, Kings College

We are really pleased to hear this positive feedback regarding King's College Hospital and the diabetes care, thank you very much for taking your time to let us all know about this.