About: Royal Bolton Hospital

I visited the pharmacy sunday afternoon after i woke with a severally flared rash. The pharmastist advised me to make an appointment at my local out of hours practice through NHS Direct. The nurse on the phone then advised me to go to A&E and thats where the problems started. I arrived at A&E and booked myself in at reception and explained i had been referred when the head nurse over heard and asked me a few questions. I explained that i personally thought i didn't need to come to A&E she thought otherwise. I saw the triage nurse that basically told me i was wasting there time and that i would have a very long wait to see the GP due to it not being an emergency, after explaining i had been referred. After waiting for over 3 hours and seeing countless people get seen before me. I then over heard a receptionist bump someone up the cue that had been waiting for half the time i had. In my opinion a receptionist should do the job they are paid for and leave the medical issues to the nurses and doctors. So to summarise, i got told i was wasting NHS time even though a NHS professional had told be to go there and i had a long wait than what was needed due to a receptionist that wanted to play doctor.

Response from Royal Bolton Hospital

I’m sorry to hear of your experience as clearly you were only acting on advice. I’m not sure why the receptionist moved someone else up the queue in this case, but they do have to alert the triage nurse about anyone who attends who might need seeing sooner. I will speak to staff about your unsatisfactory visit. I appreciate that this was frustrating for you, but thank you for bringing it to our attention. Sue Franklin, Operational Business Manager, A and E.