"Terrible experience during and after birth of..."

About: University College Hospital

The birth of my twins was traumatic and excruciatingly painful, due to inadequate anaesthetic for the c-section. The operation was hurried (even though it was scheduled, not an emergency), and the care afterwards was confusing to me, intermittent, and damaging to the health of my twins. There was no room for two cots in the bay on the maternity ward, and not enough midwives to help change my dressings, catheter, or help me care for the twins when I was attempting to feed them. When I was discovered dehydrated and bloody by a midwife after hours alone, she then scolded me for not drinking more and not asking to be redressed. I had conflicting advice on how much to feed the girls and how much to sleep. The babies' father was not allowed to stay overnight so I was completely alone, in pain, trying to care for them. We were desperate to leave for these reasons, so I went home as soon as possible. We had to be readmitted 24 hours later as the babies were losing too much weight and were severely jaundiced. I was devastated, and in shock from the whole experience. No-one I came across seemed to have even thought about how having twins might be different, and even if I'd only had one baby, all the above would still have made it the worst experience of my life.

Response from University College Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to feed back to us. We are extremely sorry to hear about your experience with our obstetrics and maternity departments. We would be grateful if you could contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) via pals@uclh.nhs.uk or by calling 0845 155 5000 ext 73042 so that we can investigate this matter further.