"Open Partial Nephrectomy to remove 3.6cm kidney..."

About: Churchill Hospital

I had to undergo a partial nephrectomy to remove a small 3.6cm tumour from my left kidney on 17 January 2014 and was under the wonderful care of the Churchill Hospital in Oxford. It felt very reassuring to be in such good hands in this centre of excellence both before and during the operation, which went very well. The anesthetist also gave me an epidural for pain relief afterwards. Much to my relief I did not need a temporary stent. The post-operative care afterwards on the Urology Ward 15 was thorough and meticulous. The nursing staff were very supportive, helping me recover from the open surgery during my 6-day stay. Cleanliness was excellent too. I also very much appreciated a personal visit from the oncology advance nurse practitioner who came to see me before I left. She was able to answer some queries I had about kidney cancer before going home. I feel extremely lucky to have received such excellent care. I was kept fully informed at every stage and appointments were promptly made and kept. After the shock of finding out that I had a tumour the above excellent care and expertise reduced my anxiety and boosted my confidence greatly.

Response from Churchill Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to respond following your time at OUH. We are pleased to hear our staff helped you through, what can be, a very difficult time. Staff appreciate hearing from their patients and will use your feedback to continue building upon their work and sustaining a great service. Your kind comment will be passed to the Urology team. We wish you a successful road to recovery.