"Emergency admission to University Hospital, Ayr"

About: Ayr Hospital / Accident & Emergency Ayr Hospital / General Medicine NHS 24

I collapsed with nausea and dizziness. Totally unable to stand and completely disoriented, my wife phoned NHS24 (no comment about them) and an ambulance took me to Ayr A & E.

Excellent attention there, and I was admitted. I was admitted into a medical ward at Station 6. The nursing and support staff on that ward were absolutely fabulous - cheerful, efficient, kind, and giving great attention with care and compassion.

That goes for all of them, and I hope they realise just how comforting their approach was at a time when I was feeling rotten. I was kept in until for a few days, and I have to say that the clinical care was first class, with all options being explored for a diagnosis.

My recovery is continuing at home, and I'm sure it has gone better because of the terrific nursing care I received. Thank you everyone, especially Claire, who spent ages each day helping and persuading a couple of really ill patients to try and eat.

Response from Shona Lawrence, Patient Affairs Manager, NHS 24

Dear GSC

Thank you for sharing your story via Patient Opinion. I read this with interest and I am pleased to note that you are now recovering at home. I do wish you a speedy recovery. From your feedback, I note that contact was made with NHS 24, although you have declined to comment on this further. I am keen to explore this with you, if you would be kind enough to contact me directly.

At NHS 24 patient care is our number one priority and feedback from patients helps us to improve the service we provide. We listen carefully to patients and their families and take all patient feedback seriously. I can be contacted directly on 0141 337 4582 or by email at patientaffairs@nhs24.scot.nhs.uk

With kind regards

Shona Lawrence

NHS 24 Patient Affairs Manager

Response from Kate MacDonald, Business Coordinator & Office Manager (interim), Nurse Directorate, NHS Ayrshire and Arran, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Dear GSC

I must apologise for the delay in responding to your lovely posting about your experience at A&E and Station 6 at University Hospital Ayr.

I would like to say that our wonderful staff in A&E and Station 6 were sent your posting last Monday. I can assure you that they will have been very encouraged by it (especially Claire, whom you specfically named), it's always great to hear a 'well done' and I want to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience.

I do hope you are continuing to improve GSC, and I wish you good health for the future.

Take Care and kind regards