"Completely dismissed!"

About: St Mary's Hospital (London)

My relative spent 8 days in Rodney Porter Ward recently, no complaints there as such. The staff were friendly on the whole. However, on discharge the person was informed they would receive an appointment with the liver outpatients dept. Usually on discharge an appointment is given but we were told one would be sent out in the post so we waited 7 days, 10 days then by the 3rd week I decided to give the o/p dept a call. Surprise surprise, according to the very helpful lady I spoke to on the phone, she informed me that the consultant hadn't even completed his discharge papers, let alone arrange a follow up apt! so unless I rang nothing would have been done! Also the person's GP doesn't have any information concerning the fact he was admitted. Disgraceful and uncaring, words can't begin to express my total dissatisfaction here. If I knew which consultant he was under I would contact him myself.

Response from St Mary's Hospital

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is concerned to read of your relative's experience and we sincerely apologise for the distress that was caused. Thank you for also contacting our PALS Team with regard to this incident. The discharge summary has now been faxed to the GP and the discharging doctor has asked that an appointment is booked. The ward manager is investigationg why the usual discharge procedures were not followed. Thank you for raising these concerns.