"Emergency care"

About: Darent Valley Hospital / Accident and emergency Darent Valley Hospital / General medicine Queen Victoria Hospital / General medicine Queen Victoria Hospital / General surgery South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Emergency ambulance

After an operation at Queen Victoria Hospital East Grinstead, in mid Dec. I was discharged 2 days later

I started to feel unwell next day, my partner called Queen Victoria Hospital and was advised to wait 24 hours and if no improvement call local doctor.

The following day. I was much worse, I called emergency GP and was seen in Darent Valley by a GP at 10: 15 am.

This GP was excellent and he got me admitted into Darent Valley there and then.

My one small complaint is, I was sent to A&E to be admitted, obviously not looking and feeling well, and I spoke to a nurse who told me to sit down and she would take blood and do paperwork. She then carried on her personal conversation with her counterpart for about 15-20 minutes. A nurse arrived and took me to a ward.

From that moment on my care was of the finest order. The doctors that treated me were very good indeed. The nursing was excellent and everything went very well. I truly believe the care and attention in the ward was perfect. even the food was edible.

At 11 PM that same night I went back to East Grinstead by ambulance and stayed there for 8 more days.

Response from Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust

Dear Alan

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review about Darent Valley Hospital. We do apologise for the little gliche in A&E regarding the nurse however, we were very pleased to read that your stay with us and all of our staff were excellent.

With best wishes

Response from Louise Hutchinson, Patient Experience Lead, South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Mr Windy

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your care during your recent spell of illness. I was pleased to read that you found the ambulance service to be good, and I do hope you are now recovering well.

With very best wishes, Louise Hutchinson

Response from Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Mr Windy

I was very concerned to read of your experience following your recent attendance at Queen Victoria Hospital and understand that you recently discussed your concerns with Nicolle Tadman our Patient Experience Manager. I wish to repeat what she advised in that you should have been told to return to the hospital when you became unwell the day after your initial discharge. I wish to assure you that it has been reiterated to both the clinical and nursing staff that patients who contact the hospital with a medical concern, following surgery, should be advised to return to the hospital for review. I wish to convey my sincere apologies for your experience and I do hope that your recovery has also been satisfactory.

Yours sincerely