"I could not have done it without the local Breastfeeding Group"

About: Sherwood West Children's Centre

(as a parent/guardian),

I go to my local breastfeeding group every fortnight.

I didn't breastfeed my first as we had a very rocky start with it and I didn't know that there was so much support there so I gave up after 4 days.

Second time around I got off to the same rocky start but quicker. I asked for help and got a lot of support from my midwife who pointed me in the direction of the support group.

I turned up with baby 3 weeks old and it made me feel so much better. Over the next few days/weeks every time I was struggling or on the verge of giving up I'd count down to the next meeting and it helped me realise that whatever I was going through, someone, somewhere was either going through it too or had done in the past.

My little one is now 7 months old, still being breastfed and showing no signs of stopping. I could definitely have not done this without the group members and the group leaders for support and encouragement. I now try to help others that are in a similar predicament to me because it is, by far, the hardest but most rewarding thing I have ever done.

Response from Marina George, Childrens Centre Co-ordinator, Childrens Centre (Hawtonville & Balderton), County Health Partnerships

Thank you for your posting. I am very grateful to you for taking the time to feed back your experience.

It's always a pleasure to hear stories about your experience of our services and it's good to know that we have been a positive support when you needed us and we will continue to be here for you whenever you need us in the future.

I will pass your comments on to the staff team