"Still waiting for a rebuild 7 years after..."

About: Stepping Hill Hospital

On the 18th of January 2007 I had a mastectomy operation at the Bobby Moore unit after being diagnosed with breast cancer. Both my husband and I were shocked at how quickly the decision was made that a mastectomy was the only course of action, and there was no mention or discussion of any breast conserving treatments. I agreed to the operation after being reassured by both of the consultants who examined me that breast reconstruction was an integral part of the treatment. Seven years later I am still waiting!! In the early days after the operation I tried constantly to get my specialist nurse to make an appointment, always to be fobbed off with lame excuses, one time even being told that an appointment was in the post which of course never arrived. This hospital only treats the symptom and ignores the patients physical, mental and emotional well being. I assume my treatment at this hospital ticked all of the boxes for the management and to hell with the patient. Would I recommend this hospital? Not if you value your self worth, marriage and dignity. Today I again tried to get something done, only to me told to contact my GP!

Response from Cath Marsland, Head of Risk and Patient and Customer Services, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust

I am very sorry to read of your delays and distress, I have asked the relevant managment team to look into your experience and to contact you regarding this as soon as possible. If you telephone the Patient and Customer Services Department the team there can also assist you in investigating this situation. 419 5678

Response from Stepping Hill Hospital

I am very sorry to read your comments about your experience. Please contact the Patient and Customer Services Department to discuss this further. You can telephone the Department on 0161 419 5678 or email PCS@stockport.nhs.uk. Mr Kieren Done Complaints and Customer Services Team Manager