"Communication"

About: Rotherham Hospital

My mother has been on an acute medical ward for 2 weeks and not one person has offered me any information re her conditiion or discharge arrangements. As I work full time I was unable to visit during the day so never got to see a Dr. I asked to see the sister of the ward on 2 occasions and was told she was too busy to see me. I feel the staff on the ward have cared for my mother very well but we need infomation. If nurses offered information instead of having to seek it it would help enormously.

Response from James Munro, Chief executive, Patient Opinion

Dear Anonymous

We have brought your story across from NHS Choices so that it also appears on Patient Opinion. Due to an error in our software, I'm afraid this was severely delayed, so the team at Rotherham Hospital has only just seen your story now.

I do apologise for this - it is entirely our fault.

Response from Kerry Hollingworth, Corporate Affairs Officer, The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Anonymous, thank you for your feedback via NHS Choices. We are sorry that we have not been able to respond to you sooner, as explained on the response from Patient Opinion; it has been due to technical issues which are out of our control.

With best wishes,

Kerry

Response from Rotherham Hospital

Dear Anonymous, thank you for your feedback via NHS Choices. We are sorry that we have not been able to respond to you sooner. We are pleased to hear that you feel the staff on the ward cared for your mother very well but are sorry to hear that as a relative, you felt you were not kept informed of your Mothers condition and discharge arrangements. Your feedback will be passed on to the staff concerned to help ensure this is not the experience of other relatives of patients in future. However, if you wish to do so, please contact our Patient Services team on 01709 424461, who would be happy to investigate your experience in more detail. With best wishes, Kerry Please accept our sincere apologies for the significant delay in your receipt of our response. This response to your comment was published via the Patient Opinion website (www.patientopinion.org.uk) on (14/01/14). However, certain factors within the responses process have recently become known to us and subsequently highlighted that our response has not been received by you. Please be assured that the appropriate actions have been taken to ensure this does not happen again in future.