"orthoptic cutbacks"

About: Lincoln County Hospital

My son was referred to the orthoptic clinic for possible Irlen syndrome. After attending the clinic over a few months the final outcome was that he needed coloured lenses and glasses . Im happy with the treatment he received but instead of being given a voucher for glasses I he was given a pair of large plastic frames with clip-on coloured lenses and. I asked about a voucher and was told these are no longer provided. I am new faced with a comical pair of glasses for an 11 year old boy or a large bill to get the appropriate glasses and coloured lenses from an optician. I do not think I should have to pay for my child to have these. I was nite even provided with a prescription to help me at the optician. I am very disappointed at the outcome of this clinic.

Dear Tracey; I am sorry about your concerns and having had an 11 year old boy at one time I can understand the issue!

I have passed this onto the team to ask that if we cannot provide from the hospital (there are some complicated rules about funding) then where you can get some help - and to chase your prescription for you. If you can contact me directly at: jennie.negus@ulh.nhs.uk I can let you know when the team get back to me.

Hello again Tracey; Pam King our Head Orthoptist has just got back to me and asked me to post the following:

Dear Tracey I was very pleased to read you were happy with the treatment received at the Orthoptic Clinic, but unhappy that you and your son are dissatisfied with the lens provided. This is a new service provided by us and this is our first complaint. I have consulted with the manufacturer this morning and we are hoping to improve the situation by holding a small selection of plano lens children can choose from, and once they have made a selection we will have them made up with the coloured lens instead of providing the clip-ons. Alternatively the manufacturer will provide uncut coloured lens to us which the patient can take to an optician where they can buy their own frames. If you would like to contact the department with your sons full name and hospital number we look forward to resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Do get in touch - thank you again for your feedback and and Happy Christmas to you and your son.

Response from Lincoln County Hospital

Dear Tracey, Pam King - Head Orthoptist has asked me to reply with the following message: I was very pleased to read you were happy with the treatment received at the Orthoptic Clinic , but unhappy that you and your son are dissatisfied with the lens provided. This is a new service provided by us and this is our first complaint. I have consulted with the manufacturer this morning and we are hoping to improve the situation by holding a small selection of plano lens children can choose from, and once they have made a selection we will have them made up with the coloured lens instead of providing the clip-ons. Alternatively the manufacturer will provide uncut coloured lens to us which the patient can take to an optician where they can buy their own frames. If you would like to contact the department with your sons full name and hospital number we look forward to resolving this issue as soon as possible. Please do get in touch so that we can sort this out for your son - thank you for your feedback; wishing you and your family a very Happy Christmas.