"I don't think the hospital understood my Parkinson's disease"

About: Royal Derby Hospital / General surgery

I don't think the hospital understood my Parkinson's disease. I took my own tablets in with a list of what and when to be taken, but I was given more of 1 tablet and not enough of others, consequently I was feeling very confused and hallucinating after my operation, I was in not fit state. I could not manage my own medication.

Staff were very good, except they didn't seem to realise the importance of regular tablets. At 10pm one night I phoned my wife to say I was signing myself out, I was so confused. She then phoned the hospital and explained again about my medication.

Response from Royal Derby Hospital

We are very sorry to hear that your stay wasn't to the standard we would always want it to be. We understand how important timely medication is for patients with long term conditions. At Derby Hospitals we have a specialist Parkinson's Nurse who works with ward staff to ensure they understand the importance of timely medication rounds. I have passed your feedback onto Lisa and she would be keen to hear from you to ensure we can share your experience with staff and give you reassurance that we will learn from this to improve the care we provide. Please contact her via email lisa.brown8@nhs.net