"Appointment notification"

About: Stepping Hill Hospital

The appointments department contacted my wife by telephone to inform her that she had an appointment the following day with the gastroenterology department. I contacted the office of the doctor who had requested to see my wife as I had concerns about her current health. I spoke with who I believed to be the secretary of the doctor and attempted to explain the current situation surrounding my wife's health and would it be possible to have any earlier appointment. I was told that there were no other appointments available and was given the impression that I was not being really listened to.I tried to explain to the person again but was left feeling exactly the same and was told not to raise my voice. I explained that I was concerned about my wife and asked if another doctor could see my wife. I was informed that it was not possible and told not to raise my voice or the person would end the call, which the person did.If the person I spoke to believed I was raising my voice it was because I was very frustrated with her attitude which was I feel quite unsympathetic. I received the impression from this person that that was the appointment my wife had been given and that was that. This contact with Stepping Hill on this occasion was completely different from other visits with medical staff.

Response from Cath Marsland, Head of Risk and Patient and Customer Services, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust

I am very sorry for the manner in which you were spoken to all staff are asked to treat all patients and visitors with dignity and respect and to listen to what people are saying. I have fed back this comment to the relevent teams but if you would like to discuss this further please contact the patient and customer services team on 419 5678

Response from Stepping Hill Hospital

Thank you for your comments.

I sincerely apologise that these were not been responded to in a timely manner.

This was due to lack of administrative support at the time which has now been rectified.

I would like to reassure you however that your comments were forwarded to the appropriate teams for them to reflect and learn from your experience so that improvements could be made in the services we offer.

Patient and Customer Services Manager