"First class service all round"

About: Derriford Hospital

I was in for an overnight stay on Stannon ward on level 11 after a spinal op. I was in for the op Monday morning and left around 1pm Tuesday. They were putting up Christmas decorations as I arrived on the ward from recovery. That was a nice site to see and put me at ease. The staff on the ward are brilliant as are the medical team that dealt with my op. Every last one of them gives at least 110% at all times. The ward was spotlessly clean at all times with any incidents responded to immediately. I saw the cleaning being done and that too was very thorough. Apart from the female staff member from pharmacy who actually confiscated my BP tablets (prescribed by my GP...) because they were different to what she thought I was taking. I hadn't informed them of any different ones at any stage so she just made no sense. I got them back from a nurse later when she'd gone. But every other member of staff I had the pleasure of dealing with was excellent. Medical staff, care team afterwards, physio, catering, cleaning. All first class.

Response from Mary Anderson, Senior Quality Facilitator, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust

Good morning Dave and firstly, can I apologise for the delay in acknowledging your positive comments following your recent operation and stay on Stannon Ward. It will be a real pleasure to forward your comments to the team on Stannon, including the surgical team and all the support staff who contributed to your care and comfort whilst on the ward.

Thank you for your posting.

With all good wishes