"A very good total knee replacement experience"

About: Central Middlesex Hospital

I had never had any kind of surgery all my life until my tkr at age 63,but the team with the consultant were excellent, the anaesthetist was patient and compassionate and allowed me time to do some deep breathing for calming and relaxing.After care was very good, all the staff were friendly and caring,including the catering lady! I did what I was told, put up with the pain, and was home in 3 days. The most important thing is to keep doing all the exercises, as often as you can and long after the official sessions are over. The pain does decrease. I did the exercises as many times and as many sets as I could, and within 2 weeks I was managing on one crutch and that too not for long ! Standing for too long,cooking,washing up,did make the knee stiff and painful, but with regular exercise it gets easier.Walking a little more each time helps.Five months on there is still some numb area around the knee, but applying oil and massaging will help keep the skin supple and regain sensation I believe.Am now ready to start process for second knee , after that I can have my life back ! Thank you all at CMH Orthopaedics !!

Response from Central Middlesex Hospital

We were pleased to learn that you received good care at the Trust and that you have made such an excellent recovery from your surgery. Your kind comments will be passed onto the staff in the area concerned.