"Waiting in clinic, then in pharmacy"

About: Sunderland Royal Hospital / Gynaecology

I had an appointment today in the gynaecology department.

As always the clinic was running late, it was 75 minutes before I was seen. I have been 3 times before and it's always at least an hour before you are seen by the doctor. I have to go to work afterwards and as they are good enough to give me the time to attend these appointments, the last thing I want to do is take advantage.

Whilst I was there today I asked the doctor for a prescription. She obliged and said it would be in pharmacy. Thinking I could just collect this and have it filled another time, I went to pharmacy, only to be told it was 'electronic' and I would have to wait 30 minutes.

I walked out. I didn't have time to wait any longer, as I said already, I had to get back to work.

The attitude of one of the staff in pharmacy also left a lot to be desired. I didn't get their name. Very rude person. You really need to look into this. I am thinking of lodging an official complaint.

What a waste of a morning. Late appointment, no further forward and no prescription. I will now have to make an appointment with my own GP, which means more time off work.

Response from Sunderland Royal Hospital

I am sorry that your experience within our gynaecology and pharmacy outpatient departments has not been a positive one. We would like to look into these issues further for you and would be grateful if you could contact us at corporate.affairs@chsft.nhs.uk so that a member of the PALS team can get in touch with you. Please do get in touch as this is obviously not the first time that the standard of service that you should expect to receive has not happened.