"Parking fine when rushing baby into A&E"

About: Wansbeck Hospital

I have just had my parking charge notice after visiting A&E with my son last week. Surely a hospital shouldn't employ a company that will charge people taking a family member or themselves into an A&E department! Emergency is in the title, who has time to find a ticket machine, find the right change and display a ticket when they are concerned about their or someone else's health! I believe the hospital should take some responsibility and work together with the parking companies. The reception asked if I had driven in, surely at that point they could have communicated with the parking company to allow an exception. My visit to A&E ended well, staff were amazing. However, imagine the situation where someone brought a loved one into A&E, rushed in with paying for parking being the last thing on their mind, returned home without their loved one and received a letter a week later fining them for their efforts. I believe some common sense, compassion and better administration should be applied in none scheduled and urgent hospital appointments.

Response from Wansbeck Hospital

Dear Sir/Madam Firstly, I was really pleased to learn that your trip to A&E had a good outcome for your son and that you received great care from the team. So sorry that your experience of the new parking system was not such a good one. I understand how concerned you must have been about your son and that this was your priority. I would really like to see if I can help, please email me at Joanne.Mackintosh@northumbria-healthcare.nhs.uk Best wishes Jo

Response from Annie Laverty, Director of Patient Experience, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust We have made a change

Just to update you that the outcome of this. The Trust has made an important change and reached an agreement which will result in the termination of the management contract with Parking Eye on all Northumbria premises.

I hope this provides you with some assurance of our determination to listen and respond to the needs of our patients and the local people we serve.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

With all best wishes,