"Abysmal booking system - wasted three weeks"

About: Moorfields Eye Hospital (City Road)

Having visited my GP I was referred to a specialist for consultation on strabismus. I was able to pick from several hospitals via the choose and book system. Having heard that moorfields had a good reputation I chose to book with them. No appointments were available at the time of booking so I was informed the hospital would be in touch. On the 3rd of November I receive a letter telling me I have an appointment on the 7th - a day that I am entirely unavailable to attend. I had received no phone call or email consulting me on this date (I thought we were promoting patient choice now?). I reject the appointment and add a note that I would appreciate some form of communication on an appropriate date that I might attend. Several days later i get a phone call telling me the next available appointment is in 4 months!! Obviously I did not want to wait 4 months to be seen so I informed them I would go to another hospital instead. To do this I am told I will need to book another GP appointment, get referred all over again and begin the process from scratch! Thanks for wasting my time.

Response from Moorfields Eye Hospital (City Road)

I'm sorry to hear about this. It certainly doesn't sound like a very satisfactory experience. I have passed your comments to our booking centre team so that they can take them into account as they make improvements in future.