"I was not at all happy with how the TRAQS team dealt with my appointment"

About: Telford referral and quality service (TRAQS) The Princess Royal Hospital / Ophthalmology

(as a service user),

I was not at all happy with how the TRAQS team dealt with my appointment. I was referred in April by my optician (via my GP). An appointment was given in July.

Two weeks before my appointment, I received a letter cancelling it. By August, I had not received another appointment, so I contacted you only to be told I was put in the wrong clinic.

A further appointment was made for September and my details would be sent to me. Two weeks before my appointment my details had not been sent to me. I contacted you again only to be told they did not have me down for an appointment for September.

I have just had my appointment today, in October.

My health care was excellent! Shame about the months before.

Response from The Princess Royal Hospital

Dear Jump461 Thank you so much for letting us know about your experience. I am sure that TRAQS will respond direct to the issues you have raised about their service. TRAQS is run by local GPs and not by the Princess Royal Hospital, so please accept our apologies that we are not able to respond on their behalf. We are really delighted to here that the health care you received from the ophthalmology team at the Princess Royal Hospital was excellent and we are sorry to hear that you faced the problems you have described in the lead up to this appointment. Thanks again for taking the trouble to let us know. We will make sure that your feedback is shared with the ophthalmology team.

Response from Helen Handy, TRAQS & CAB Co-Ordinator, Telford and Wrekin CCG

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I am disappointed to read that you had to wait so long for an appointment and welcome the opportunity to explain how the process works. TRAQS relies upon the information from your optician to book patients into the correct clinic. Once the consultant reviews the referral they sometimes redirect the patient to a different clinic if they feel it is more appropriate. This appears to have happened in your case. From this point the hospital is responsible for rebooking the appointment and we are aware that there is an extremely long wait for ophthalmology appointments at our local hospitals. I am sure you appreciate that as the hospital manage their own appointments waiting list this is outside TRAQS control.

Thank you again for taking time to comment