"A relief knowing that there is someone around to help"

About: Harmoni / NHS 111

My wife is 85 years old and was unwell over the week-end. She was suffering from stomach pains and her teeth also hurt.

I phoned the 111 service on Sunday; the person who answered went through a set of preliminary questions and then put me through to a nurse. After asking me supplementary questions the nurse put me through to a doctor. This doctor suggested that she should call for an ambulance to take my wife to the A&E unit. However, I explained that we have had experience in the A&E after my wife had a couple of falls, I did not think she would be able to handle several hours in A&E as she also suffers from dementia and has limited mobility. The doctor then said that another doctor would come to see my wife in around two hours.

In actual fact the doctor arrived after about half an hour. He examined my wife and said that much of my wife’s discomfort was due to severe constipation and gave her an enema.

I was very happy with the service; it’s a great relief to have this service knowing that there is someone around to help alleviate my own worries.

It’s a very good service.

Response from Amanda Mayo, NHS 111 Service Director, Harmoni

Thank you for taking the time to post your views of your recent experience with NHS111 and the GP home visiting service. I am glad that you found the services provided effective and that you gain comfort from the 24/7 presence of NHS111. Please do not hesitate to call us if you need support or assistance with health issues.