"Delay in diagnosis of my knee"

About: Kidderminster Treatment Centre - Acute Trust / Trauma and orthopaedics

A month ago I went to see my GP. He sent me for an x-ray. I went in mid-October. To date, no results have been returned. Today I paid £3 to park for a quarter of an hour to be told there's a backlog and results should be out in a few days.

I have difficulty standing and walking - even across the room. I have no diagnosis of what ails me (including elbow, wrist and shoulder pain) and, as a 24/7 carer, life is becoming difficult.

Please explain "backlog" in terms I can understand since the x-ray was available on the internet the moment it was taken. Why is my condition undiagnosed four weeks after seeing the doctor?

Response from Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust

I am very sorry that you have had an unacceptable delay in receiving the report of an x-ray. Without further information, regarding your name and identifiable details, we cannot investigate what has happened to your x-ray report.

We did have a shortage of radiologists in the latter part of last year and there was a delay in providing reports for plain x-rays. We resolved this problem as soon as we could by taking on temporary additional staff and re-organising how the department works to improve reporting times.

The current wait for reports for plain x-rays requested by GPs is four days. All reports are transmitted electronically so that GPs can view them within minutes of the report being completed in the hospital. In addition, any requests received for an urgent report from the GP is reported immediately.

I apologise once again for the unacceptable service you received. We have now resolved the problem and I hope that this will not be a problem for other patients in the future.

Umesh Udeshi