"Moving a patient who is confused after brain surgery to three different wards within days"

About: Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital / Neurology

(as a carer),

My husband was sent from Addenbrooks in Cambridge after a brain operation to recover in Digswell Ward at QEII Hospital.

He was well looked after, but then even though he was on the waiting list to be transferred to an "Intermediate Care Team" within days, he was transferred to Codicote Ward.

He had to get used to new surroundings and new staff which is difficult for a person in his confused state but lo and behold within three days this new ward is closed down and my husband taken to Stanborough Ward.

Surely management must have planned this in advance not just on the spur of the moment. How can you do this to a patient who needs reassurance to shift him around from place to place?

I think this is heartless and I feel the hospital management is only interested in downgrading the hospital but not at all in the welfare of the patients.

Response from Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital

We’re so sorry that you and your husband have had such a difficult time. We always aim to keep the number of times a patient is moved to a minimum, and clearly your husband has been moved more than you – and we – would like. If you would be kind enough to send us an email to generalenquiries.enh-tr@nhs.net with his name, date of birth, telephone number and address details, we’ll gladly look into what’s happened and give you a ring to explain and apologise.

Response from Peter Gibson, Associate director, public affairs, East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust

Thank you for posting this further comment and we're aware that similar comments have been posted on NHS Choices. On each occasion we've encouraged you to contact us via generalenquiries.enh-tr@nhs.net so that we could put you in touch with the team that manages the QEII services - at the very least you and your husband deserve an apology, along with an update on what is planned for your husband in terms of the intermediate care he needs.