"High Level of care and professionalism, but needs..."

About: Heartlands Hospital

I was admitted to the hospital promptly and did not have to wait, even though it was a Friday night. The staff were very professional but also showed kindness and empathy. I was given non emergency medication fast and say a doctor within 15 minutes of being admitted. However, whilst in a "sterile" cubicle which had been cleaned ready for the next patient, I noted the cleaning card had been filled in and ticked and signed off. The cubicle had paper towels on the floor and also large, by NHS cleanliness standards, blood on the floor. I feel this is unacceptable if we are to improve infection control. The blood could have contained any number of pathogens which could make someone very ill. If this easily solved problem was given attention, BHH would be an excellent place of care.

Response from Iona Belgrove, Patient Services Manager, Heart Of England NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Matthew M

I am so sorry you had that experience and I have passed your feedback of the Emergency Department cubicle in the state it was in. I have forward your email onto our Facilities Department. Please be assured this this not the normal standard of cleaning service and appropriate step will be taken.

Iona

Response from Heartlands Hospital

I am so sorry you had that experience and my colleague in the Patient Services Department has passed your feedback of the Emergency Department. She has also forwarded your feedback onto our Facilities Department. Please be assured this this not the normal standard of cleaning service and appropriate step will be taken. Kind regards Catherine Williams Patient Engagement Department