"Fracture Clinic - design issues"

About: St Mary's Hospital (London)

I am no architect, but on my attendance to the hip clinic, 3 weeks post THR, I was struck by the lack of thought given to meeting the needs of patients like myself - no raised seating, anywhere,including the toilets, no means of undressing in the changing room, no wheelchair access to consulting rooms, and no means of examining the left leg for the surgeon: the couch was hard against the wall. Whatever the budgetary constraints, the building and design of this new clinic represent a wasted opportunity, ie to listen to the views of those actually receiving and delivering care before committing to a design. My experience was no better in Charing X, where I was admitted as an emergency via A&E 12 days ago. Neither there nor in the surgical ward to which I was admitted were there suitable facilities - raised loo seats etc. A possibly overstretched staff could not neutralise the effects of these design flaws.

Response from St Mary's Hospital

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust appreciates your feedback. Thank you for your important comments with regard to the orthopaedic clinic at St Mary's. Your comments have been passed to senior managers. A patient was involved in consultations with regard to the design of the area but the Trust was aware of space limitations in relocating the facility. We hope your recovery is progressing well and extend our good wishes to you.