"The two crew members who collected us were very thoughtful and courteous"

About: South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Patient transport service (PTS) Southmead Hospital / Trauma and orthopaedics

On older Persons’ Day, my husband had an appointment at the South Meads Hospital in Bristol at the Orthopedic clinic.

Our GP arranged for an ambulance to take us to the hospital, it was booked for an early pickup as we had a 9: 50 appointment.

The two crew members who collected us were very thoughtful and courteous, looking out for our welfare throughout the journey. The young lady was a very good driver.

Our experience at the hospital was good. Although it was a full clinic we were not kept waiting too long. We were pleased to have been seen by the consultant who explained we would also be seen by the anesthesiologist before my husband’s hip replacement operation. All the staff were relaxed and friendly – we were passed from one person to another for the pre-operation assessment. Mostly these were questions being put to us but there were a couple of tests that had not previously been conducted. The staff could not have been nicer.

The ambulance on the way back took longer to collect us from the hospital as they also needed to pick up people from the Frenchay Hospital. However, the crew were again very attentive. I had a very comfortable seat in the back of the ambulance, unfortunately my husband ended up with a seat over the wheel arch – as the patient he could have done with the comfy seat!

My husband also commented on how well turned out both crews were and how clean the ambulances were.

Dear Quip497

Thank you for takig the time to share your experience of our Patient Transport Service.

It is always rewarding to hear that our staff are continuing to provide excellent care to our patients when the need us most. We appreciate your feedback regarding the seating arrangements as this will allow us to learn and develop our service.

We would like to pass your comments onto the individual members of staff who transported you and your husband to and from the clinic. In order to do this we would need a little bit more information from you. If you could please call me on 01392 453831, or email laura.martin@swast.nhs.uk at your convenience so I may ask you for some futher details.

I do hope your husbands hip operation goes well.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Laura

Response from Steven Sykes, Advice & Complaints Team Manager, North Bristol NHS Trust

Dear Quip479 - thank you for taking the time and trouble to post details of your experience at Southmead hospital. I am please to learn that all staff acted in a caring and professional manner and I hope that your husband's procedure goes well.

Kind Regards -

Response from Southmead Hospital

Dear Quip479 – thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your views of the services at Southmead hospital. I am pleased to learn that all the staff acted in a caring and professional way and that your experience was so positive. Your story has been shared with the staff involved. I hope you husband makes a speedy recovery from his operation. Kind Regards – Steve Sykes Advice and Complaints Team Manager