"diagnosed with breast cancer"

About: Lincoln County Hospital

I was booked in for a mastectomy on the 14th February 2013, I felt it was happening to some-one else not me. I stayed in a ward with 4 beds in the Maternity Unit, which meant I had nothing in common with the other 3 people on the ward who were in for urine infections being 3/4 months pregnant. I stayed in for approx. a week until my drain had finished draining. I had no quibble with the treatment I received from the nursing staff, Doctors, and enjoyed the food. I just felt out on a limb with no one to share the experience with. I had an appointment 6 weeks after with the Consultant who discussed my options. The Oncologist said I would not need radical treatment just a course of Letrozole for 5 years. I was due for another appointment in August but we had moved back to Norfolk by then and I cancelled it and asked my G.P. to try and make me an appointment locally. Not the best idea, as the hospital I was now with had not got any notes re my operation so was told to come back in January 2014 when hopefully my notes would have arrived. I am still on that limb with no-one to talk to about any worries or even some-one suffering the same position as me - that is having had a recent mastectomy. It's quite lonely out there. Linda

Response from Lincoln County Hospital

Dear Linda - your posting was simply heart-breaking to read.....particularly your closing words.....whilst I was pleased to hear that your care at Lincoln County was good I am sorry that since you moved you have had such a difficult time. I have also realised that whilst I responded quite quickly to your story via Patient Opinion the response did not get transcribed onto NHS Choices for some reason (I have asked them to look into this) so I am sorry if this reply appears so late. Clearly the practicalities of moving can cause some challenges - however I cant believe it will take until January for us to send through your notes. If you could contact me directly at: jennie.negus@ulh.nhs.uk with some more personal details and who your GP and new hospital consultant are I will do all I can to ensure they get the information quickly. In the meantime though I think you need some support - someone to talk to....if you call Macmillan on 0808 808 0000 they will be able to put you in touch with support local to you - and their website at: www.macmillan.org.uk is also really helpful. You don’t need to be alone out there Linda - you just need to know who is there to be with you...... Jennie