"Admitted to psychiatric ward - physician myself"

About: Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust / Inpatient mental health care

Admitted for stress related confusion to psychiatric ward. Service in Ward 4 Newsam Seacroft Hospital excellent. I think I was the only patient on ward to have a job and I was 15 years older than all the other patients who came from working class background. I quickly developed friendships with several patients and helped them write their poetry online.

My admission was related to a fear of being stabbed by a former student who had failed an exam and had developed a vendetta against me. I had developed an irrational(?) fear of being stabbed so found the use of "sectioned" very frightening as I did the free availability of knives at breakfast.

Excellent work by staff - a lot of crises on ward so not getting panadol/paracetamol for knees a very minor issue. I am getting better all the time.

Response from Leeds and York NHS Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Dear eimear,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the care you received on ward 4 Newsam. This is greatly appreciated as it enables us to continue to improve the quality of our service, and also to understand what people appreciate when needing to be in hospital.

I am however sorry that you did not receive your pain relief in a timely manner.

I am very pleased to hear that you are getting better and will pass on your kind comments to all the staff on the ward. I wish you all the best in your continued recovery.

Kind Regards