"A + E department is not patient friendly"

About: Solihull Hospital / Accident and emergency

I attended the dept after falling onto my wrist, on arrival the receptionist was rude and abrupt and seemed irritated that I was attending following a fall as the dept was already busy.

It was 4 hours before I saw anyone by which point my painkillers that I had already taken were beginning to wear off. Once in the dept I was quickly dealt with and was told to return for review in one week which I did.

I returned a week later the review was straight forward and was informed as I still having problems I needed to return in another week. This time even though I had an appointment, there was no record on the system and my notes were missing and couldn't be found. When I was seen by the doctor it was recommended that I needed an MRI and to come back to review clinic 5 days after.

Following the MRI I phoned the reception to make my appointment. I was quizzed as to why I needed the review as they had problems again finding me on the system. Finally after giving all the dates and my registration number I was offered an appointment for the next day which was inappropriate as the results wouldn't be back then an appointment to far in advance I had to tell the person when I was told to make the appointment for!

This has not been the best experience. The reception in the dept is not patient friendly, and as I am a doctor myself I know things should be done better!

Response from Iona Belgrove, Patient Services Manager, Heart Of England NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Minnie1

I am so sorry you had this experience at Solihull Hospital and I completely appreciate why you now feel you can't trust your care with our team. I would really appreciate the opportunity to look into your email for you. Please can I encourage you to email me on iona.belgrove@heartofengland.nhs.uk so that I can obtain a few further details.

Iona