"Surgeons Refusing To Treat Smokers"

About: Doncaster Royal Infirmary

4 months ago I went to see about sorting out the circulation to my leg, I've got a restriction in the circulation to my leg and can only walk about 200 meters before having to stop and rest. Was told to come back in 3 months after I've been taking Statins and an Aspirin on a daily basis. Went back 3 months later and now they want me to stop smoking altogether for at least another 3 months. I'm 51,currently smoking around 5-8 a day, I don't drink, I'm not over-weight and my cholesterol level is/was 5.5 = normal. Added to that is the awful 14 months I've had caring for my father who was diagnosed with cancer and passed away in August which has made it extremely difficult to stop smoking, although I have cut down a lot. I'm now trying to care and help my mother and the surgeons refusal to treat me came as a real blow. Still, not the surgeons problem is it ?

Response from Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for posting your comment. We understand that since posting this comment you've had an opportunity to discuss the situation with one of our consultants and have now agreed a plan for your future care. We hope this is to your satisfaction and wish you well.

Response from Doncaster Royal Infirmary