"MRI Scan"

About: Royal Hallamshire Hospital

As an in patient this week in the Hallamshire I was sent for a scan. Now I understand from some of the staff that many patients find the scan somewhat daunting and some very frightened. This does not surprise me as if you are not prepared for it the whole experience is quite intimidating. The whole procedure is unlike anything I have seen before and the lack of prior information just adds to the ordeal. I was put in a wheelchair and left outside the door of the scan unit for about 20 minutes before my allotted slot. I am of the opinion that during that waiting time I could have been better prepared if some short video or other presentation form could have been used to demonstrate the sights and sounds of the machine. If this preview had taken place I feel I would have been much better prepared for the procedure shortly to be experienced.

Response from Jane Fenelon, Senior Patient Partnership Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Alan Southeran

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent MRI scan. I am sorry that on this occasion your care was not of the high standard we would expect at our Trust.

Response from Royal Hallamshire Hospital

Dear Alan Southeran. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent visit to the Neurology Department at Royal Hallamshire Hospital. I am sorry that on this occasion your care was not of the high standard we would expect at our Trust. If you would like us to investigate your concerns further please do contact our Patient Services Team on either 0114 271 2400 or pst@sth.nhs.uk and they will take additional details from you. Thank you again